Sunday, February 1, 2009

Concentration # 2
The basis of this work is trying to capture the beauty of an American farming landscape. Mrs. Danahy also introduced me to the art of Gerald Brommer, so he was a huge influence on me while I was creating this artwork. Mrs. Danahy and my classmates suggested that I should push the background back and bring the foreground farther forward. Consequently, I added strips of white paper of the background and layered the foreground with various materials such as cloth, paper, and marker. I think I did achieve a better sense of space as a result of these changes. It was also suggested that I find a picture of a farmhouse. I agreed with this suggestion but I could not find one that I really liked. However, I will keep searching and will place one in my work before the AP Exam. To create a more engaging design, I focused on movement, unity, balance, and figure-ground relationship. I do feel like this work demonstrates my concentration idea. There was definitely a lot of risk-taking in this project. Layering and experimenting with so many different types of materials was difficult but rewarding. I tried to put myself in this project by showing my love for the American landscape through the bold colors, hopefully portraying an inviting atmosphere.

4 comments:

  1. I clicked on your picture to see a close-up, and I love the textures that you added. I agree with what you posted- the bold colors work really well in this piece. I can't wait to see the barn that you add to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. adding the cloth helped a lot... I can't believe it but I like it better than your first one which I LOVED. Your concentration is obvious and the pieces are cohesive--in your style completely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The texture in this is so great. And I still love the tree and how it's like a shilouette. It's so realistic and I love that cause it's different then my style and I have mad respect for being able to do that. The colors are also really bold and great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the warm colors are a nice contrast to the cool keep up the good work. I wish I could say more but everyone else took what i has to say ;)

    ReplyDelete