Sunday, February 22, 2009

Concentration #5
This work based off photographs I took while I was visiting Boston. I made the photo-copied pictures bigger and then layered on top of them with water color, paper, texture through sponges, oil pastel, and marker. I used Mrs. Danahy's suggestion about reversing the tree and part of the left side of the picture in order to create a perspective effect which I'm really glad that I did. Also, I worked on new techniques to use in my sky such as using rubber cement. I used repitition through the repeating buildings. I do think that this work demonstrates my idea of the landscapes. I think this shows a typical American city...especially the brownstone houses. The car is also not complete in order to show how it is dream or memory-like. Risk-taking shows through how I have chosen to leave a lot in black and white as well as not have everything perfectly drawn out. I tried to put myself in the work with the student, emphasizing how I will be going to Boston in the fall for school as well as putting a girl taking a picture which symbolizes myself.

4 comments:

  1. I love how you made the buildings and sky colorful and left the man and streets black/white/gray- it makes it so interesting to look at. From far away I the tree looks so alive, and the way that you created the texture is amazing when I really get a chance to look at it up close. Keep it up Katharina, your concentration is looking amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the texture of both the sidewalk and tree is very interesting to look at-- it almost plays tricks on your eye. It also looks very 3 dimensional. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only thing I may change is adding more contrast. The composition is awesome though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. the dark ground really excentuates (hope i spelled that right) the main vibrant colors in the piece. interesting concepts

    ReplyDelete