Sunday, February 8, 2009

Concentration #3
This piece is set in Italy from my memories of being in Sienna this past summer. I remember the crumbling towers, different colored houses, and beautiful,rolling hills around it. It was suggested that I push these hills back more, which I tried to do by adding white paper over them. I definitely tried to create a more engaging design through movement and rhythm. I focused on this through texture and composition. I do think that this work follows along with my concentration statement. I really tried to capture the essence of the Italian landscape as it is in my mind to demonstrate its unique qualities and beauty. I took risks by adding layers of paper and creating texture. Furthermore, for the first time I implemented black and white photo-copies of buildings from Sienna and colored and pasted over them. This was a really interested experience that I think I will continue further in my pieces. It helped me get my darks and forced me to experiment in ways I had no before. I think that my personality came through in this work through many of the warm and soft colors I used. It would be almost impossible for me to show how much I love travel, and how especially, the life and colors of Sienna struck me while I was there. I really hope to show how the world is so beautiful and that every place exhibits this quality in an unique way.

4 comments:

  1. Katharina this looks absolutely AMAZING! The way that you added so many elements to create texture is astounding, and this piece fits in with your concentration and your other pieces really well. Not only does this look good from far away, but when I clicked to see a close up it looks even cooler. :) (I kind of want to touch it... I hope that's not weird)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one looks really good too. The different layers look great and the buildings are very distinct and don't blend into each other. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The buildings look so good adn the colors turned out great. I think the contrast of this one also shows your growth. And your texture looks great as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the layering and addition of texture is a great aspect of this piece. Your planning for the pieces is great and wel can really tell the amount of work you put into your pieces GRRRRRReat

    ReplyDelete