Sunday, March 15, 2009

Concentration #7
This work is based on a picture I took in Costa Rica. I loved all the different colored boats in the water and how they seemed to portray the livelihood of the people who owned them. It inspired me to try and create a piece that symbolized the happiness that I saw. I tried to use Mrs. Danahy's suggestion to use paper to make the foreground more bold and to stand out more than the sky. I did this, but I think I may need to do that more. I feel like the boats seem sort of un-grounded or somethign and that the sky may still be competing. I like the repitition of the boats but may want to add more of them?? I do think that this work fits in with the rest of my concentration and embodies the scene that I wanted to create. I took risks by not finishing all parts of the work. I chose to do that in order to convey how not all parts of a memory of a place are always clear. Also, it is much smaller than my other concentration pieces so it forced me to work with a smaller scale. I do like this piece but I still feel like it needs something in order for it to be complete but am not sure of what.

5 comments:

  1. Katharina, this looks fantastic! I love the texture and colors! The way you drew back into it is really interesting, and if you don't add more to this piece I would definitely continue doing that with the rest of your work more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katharina,
    Good work. I agree that you need to continue collaging the foreground and perhaps that will help to push the background farther into deep space. In the image, the boats look fine and seem to have more contrast than the original. Perhaps then you should continue to work on the contrast between teh boats, water, and the beach. I would perhaps outline some of the foreground areas to have more contrast as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. your drawings are getting more and more complex. Like I'm not sure if the boats are transfers or drawings but they look great. And the sky is my favorite part. Yours look so good and all flow together so well... I'm jealous

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this one too. Your skies are getting better and better and I feel like your taking more risk with the brushstrokes. The choppiness of this picture works really well and looks like water-- i dont know if you were going for that or not though.. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i second all of your comments and im amazed about how much better your pictures get every time well done and keep up the good work it seems like u have a good skill in watercolor continue with that

    ReplyDelete