Sunday, March 1, 2009

Concentration #6
This image I did not take but it is of an American lighthouse. In this work I really tried to make values which were more varied as well as rhythm (perhaps the same shapes of the rocks as the clouds?). I used the suggestion of working on the waves breaking, making the man fishing stand out more, and working on my foreground. I went back over the man with more black but I'm not sure if I still need to be more bold. I referred to one of Mrs. D's paintings for the waves..I think it looks better than it was but it's still not exactly how I want it. I really tried to re-create how her colors varies in the water. With the foreground...I worked on it some more...but I'm still sort of unsure of how to make it better. I do think this piece works with the rest of the concentration. However, I'm wondering if I really am going to be able to do a comparison between the US and the rest of the world like it says in my statement...or if I should change it to be more about just memories of places around the world. I took a risk by doing a citra-solve of the lighthouse and house and keeping it black and white. I think I will continue with the citra-solve technique in my next works...I really like how it fits into my concentration.

4 comments:

  1. Katharina, this looks phenomenal! The sky looks amazing and you did a great job creating so many different values. I can definitely tell a difference in the waves since I last saw the piece, but just as you said in your post that they're not exactly how you want them to look, with a little more time I know you can get them to where you want them to be. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this one! The outline around the fishermen really adds to the piece. My only question is what is the blue line where the ocean is breaking on the rocks? It may look fine up close but I'm really puzzling over what it is. Other than that though, GREAT JOB (again)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The way you added the waves looks great. THere is a lot of rhythm to this one which I love. All of yours are turning out so well and fit so well together which I love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katharina,
    Nice job! At first I wasn't sure about the cut-out fisherman but on a digital image, I think it looks fine. The waves look good as well and I would leave them as is. As I said in class, I am enjoying the abstraction of your imagery. I agree with you when you question your current investigation. Personally, I think that it is now more of an ivestigation of memories of your travels. Because your images are based on memories, it allows you room to show fragments and to continue to abstract the images to focus more on the design qualities in the concentration pieces. That is an acceptable concentration! Why don't you go back and re-work your statement and we can discuss it in class the next time we critique your work.

    ReplyDelete