Sunday, March 22, 2009

Concentration #8

This work is based on a memory of Vienna. I remember the street performers who gave the city life and energy. It was suggested that I push the sky back by developing the foreground. I tried to bolden the colors or the tiles in order to do so. It was also suggested that I make the meeting point of the sky with the buildings more distinct so I outlined with marker. I took risks by not filling everything perfectly in. I hope that doing this will emphasize how it is suppossed to illustrate a memory. There are elements of repitition visible in the repitition of the buildings and the tiles. There is also movement by how the bodies of the dancers are placed. I do think this piece fits in with my concentration (although I need to change my statement-I will do that in my next entry). I really tried to create a more complex piece by adding the people in the front but hope that it doesn't vary too much from my other landscapes.

4 comments:

  1. what i love most about this is taht is has a lot of personality in the piece nice job

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks phenomenal Katharina! The street performers make this a really dynamic piece, but they don't overpower the buildings at all. The tiles looks really great- making them bolder definitely works well with the rest of the piece. I wouldn't change a thing! Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katharina,
    I like how you are identifying the visual principles (movement and rhythm) as you work through your concentration pieces. This will really help you make conscientious decisions about your art projects as you move forward. Good job!
    This particular artwork has a nice sense of rhythm through the placement of the dancers and the contrast between teh buildings and the sky help to create depth and visual movement throughout the artwork. Finally, I think the sky is fine. You tend to lean more towards very vibrant skies and I get the feeling that you LOVE bright sunny days in the summer and this is a big part of your memory. By overemphasizing the sky (or not pushing it back) you are also communicating a part of the memory that is important to you. If so, you ought to communicate this in your concentration statement. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You could also mention in your statement about your push to abstract imagery so that it is more fragmented and memory-like.

    ReplyDelete